Thursday, October 16, 2014

What's in a Name?

Hello and welcome to my new blog! If you're just joining me or if you came as a fan of my other blog, you're likely wondering what Vincent van Gogh has to do with a blog about our walk with God. Don't worry, you're not alone in your wondering! Let me begin by saying that I am a self-described die-hard van Gogh fan. I'm a fan not only of his gorgeous paintings but also of the man himself. Many of us have ooh-ed at the sight of   The Starry Night or winced at the story of the painter cutting off his ear. Not many of us know much about the artist other than the fact that he was an amazing painter and an extremely depressed person. The truth is, in his life, Vincent van Gogh's paintings were thought to be... well... quite bad. It's a sad thought especially considering the fact that he is now considered to be one of (if not THE) best painters of all time. Still, he saw so much beauty in the world around him- beauty he didn't consider himself a part of. At different times in my life, I've definitely felt one with van Gogh and I argue that we all have. We can easily appreciate the beauty around us, but we can't appreciate the beauty in us. Our purpose seems so small while our imperfections seem so big. The fact of the matter is, we were made with a purpose even when we can't see it. There may be pain in the night, but joy comes in the morning. We just have to hold on to God until we come out on the other side. Van Gogh once said in a letter to his brother Theo:

"I am still far from being what I want to be, but with God's help I shall succeed."

I often find myself going stargazing with van Gogh, seeing the beauty in everything around me while feeling utterly separated from it. I can't help feeling like we all do. My hope is that, with this blog, you and I can journey deeper into God's love and see the richness and beauty in everything that God has created...including ourselves.


No comments:

Post a Comment